How else do you record a Harmonica?

How else do you record a Harmonica?

Thursday 19 March 2015

Notes from Buskers and the underground.

The most wonderful thing about buskers on the underground is the reverberation. The flat tiles of the station corridors cause the music to bounce and echo, allowing the sound to haunt its travelers. Usually, and especially if the performer is a novice, such travelers carry on their journeys in complete ambivalence, and have been conditioned by former trips to forget the unwanted sounds as soon as they hear them. Sometimes, however, the traveler is in just the right frame of mind, and the musician is playing just the right style, that the two enjoy each other’s company and patronage for a moment or two. A saxophonist improvising over summertime on a glistening sunny London morning, and a Dixie band playing minor jazz in a snow-kissed Oxford winter are two recent, personal, examples that come to mind.

I recall that I was first haunted by such a player one Christmas evening at Piccadilly Circus, when I was 13 years old. After a day of exploring the blues and jazz, vinyl and CD section at the Virgin megastore (formerly Tower Records) nearby, I heard the wail of the blues and deserted my companions to find the source. There he was: Harmonica Matt. With an amplifier plugged up to an old shopping dolly, a belt of harps around his waist, and a Sure ‘Green Bullet’ mic clutched around a harp, cupped in both hands and pressed to his mouth. He paused only to growl into the mic and distort the amp. I dislike the stereotypes forced upon harmonica players in general culture, that the instrument can only be played by the downtrodden; tramps, the homeless, cowboys, dying soldiers, and old farm workers. Matt lived up to this stereotype. I couldn’t tell whether he was drunk, or just confused by the wild haired teenager who stood before him, fascinated with his playing, but, after a moment or so, he seemed pleased to see a 13 year old kid with such an interest in the instrument. When he finished his song, we exchanged words about the instrument, his playing, and his equipment. He received my compliments, and I bought one of his CDs. 

A few weeks later I came across The Holloway Brothers performing in Kingston where I marveled at the lead singer’s jazz harp technique. When I purchased a CD from him we again discussed the instrument and his approach. He offered to jam with me right there on the street, however I had forgotten to bring a harp with me (sharing a harp is a hygienic faux pas) and I missed out on a golden opportunity. Since then I have considered it a bad omen to leave the house without a harmonica on my person, or at hand nearby.

In homage to Matt’s first haunting, I wrote a song about him when I got home that evening. Ten years later, I have now taken the liberty of recording it as I first played it, and have included it here.



***


‘Even if he starved to the very best of his ability, and so he did, nothing could rescue him anymore, people walked past him. Try and explain the art of starving! It needs to be felt, it’s not something that can be explained.’
-Franz Kafka, The Hunger Artist.

On one of the street corners in the back lanes of Kingston market I pass by an old man playing a chord harmonica; a simpler form of the instrument compared to the diatonic or the chromatic. I pull out my diatonic and play music with the old man. After I finish playing we exchange a few words and then I hurry off to eat. I work in a stationary shop and I am on my lunch break. I walk by the Thames listening to houseboats creak on the causeway. I sit by an old converted WWII torpedo boat docked to the mooring that, with the presence of its old military colours, is a minor local attraction.  On the way back to work I have since acquired a few coins in change and I place them in the busker’s hat as I pass him by again. He stops playing and talks to me more eagerly this time, and I am pleased to learn of his life. His name is Raymond. He is Italian, and finds my obscure Portuguese surname and heritage to offer some comfort of continental solidarity. He has played since he was ‘yea high’ and has also mastered the accordion. He tells me how he chooses locations and how he appreciates even a few pennies thrown into his hat. He takes any sum as a compliment no matter how large or small. Busking, he explains, is not the means to make a monetary fortune, but to receive acknowledgement from those that appreciate one’s style and talent, even if only for a moment.  We exchange compliments, well wishes, the shaking of hands and pats on the arm; gestures that indicate friendship, and demonstrate mutual respect and appreciation. He is a good man. I think to myself about buskers. From great artists, to mainstream sellouts; those with fanbases, and patrons who pay in advance of performances, carry the luxury of a safety net that every performer dreams of. Buskers and underdogs have to try it by the teeth.

And I realise that these are the people I stand for. Everyone dreams of easy fame and winnings (and why shouldn’t they?), and those that gain them either become saints; or vain chauvinists, but to go out into the streets with nothing but talent, necessity, and conviction, takes guts. I realise that I stand for those who try it by the teeth.

***

My new year’s resolution for 2015 is to start performing live again. The main avenue for lone musicians, like myself, is to attend jam nights, or open mic nights.
The most awful thing about jam nights is the show-off wankers one has to play with (and I am fully aware of the hypocrisy that, in this regard, it takes one to know one). Jam nights are where one hears a thousand notes per minute played over the same old scales with the finesse of a raging bull. It is the arena where everyone from the novice to the master ‘fancies themselves’.


Open mic nights are more preferable as one can perform pieces prepared in advance and without the intrusion of strangers. The environment is more relaxed, and I have come across some truly great players who have welcomed my own modest talents with friendly open arms. Along with open mic nights, I have taken to busking before work. Buskers belong to that category of people, and that philosophical concept of being, where an individual can exist in plain sight, yet still be invisible. While I have made a little profit in my performances, as Raymond told me, the rewards are not riches, but a few chance encounters with like-minded patrons who hear just the right thing at just the right time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment